What you eat largely determines how healthy you are. Unhealthy eating puts you at a great risk of diseases and you therefore have to take control of your eating and select the best foods to achieve and maintain good health. So much has been said about what the healthy foods are but what foods should you make a point of avoiding if you want to enjoy better health?
1. Margarine – Whereas butter is not as bad to health because saturated fats are very essential in promoting bodily functions that are healthy, margarine is not a very good choice. This is because it is hydrogenated trans-fat oil that is not all that healthy. It is unfortunately used in so many products and it makes it important to check your list of ingredients when buying.
2. Microwave popcorn – Popcorn is a healthy snack because it is low in calories and it is high in fiber. However, microwave popcorn should be avoided because there is a release of diacetyl when microwave heated and it can destroy the lungs leading to bronchiolitis obliterans. It is also important to remember that popcorn can be made from genetically modified kernels and have lots of flavoring chemicals and preservatives all of which could have adverse effects to your health.
3. Diet sodas – Diet sodas are not as healthy as they are made to sound. They have artificial sweeteners that cause side effects like stomach pains and headaches for some people besides eating away at bones and teeth. The diet sodas also increase the risks of obesity and can be toxic when converted to formaldehyde in the body.
4. White bread – It is a favorite for many but one that is very unhealthy. This is because it has refined floor usually breached and treated with chlorine and bromide. The processing of the flour strips it of fiber and nutrients. It is left as an empty food that is only starch and it is therefore turned into fat and sugar by the body.
5. Sausages and cured meats – They are very popular and favorites for many people but they are some of the unhealthiest foods you can choose to eat. This is probably because they are high in saturated fats which lead to heart attacks. They have also been linked with high cholesterol, high blood pressure, migraines and other diseases including cancer. Keep off cured meats as much as you can and you will be on the path to better health.
These are just a few of the foods that can take a negative toll on your health and should therefore be avoided to promote better health. Generally, you are better off avoiding sugary foods, processed foods and oily or fatty foods. The rule of the thumb is to eat balanced meals ensuring that you carefully choose the foods that should be included in the diet. Let your meals be higher in fruits and vegetables and lean protein but do not scrap out carbohydrates because it is still an impor